Tuesday, January 13, 2009


Where is God?

The Lord is before his people. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice (John 10.4).

The Lord is behind his people. O Lord, you have searched me and known me. . . . You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me (Psalm 139.1, 5).

The Lord is above his people. More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters, more majestic than the waves of the sea, majestic on high is the Lord (Psalm 93.4).

The Lord is beneath his people. Listen to me, o house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am he, even when you turn gray I will carry you (Isaiah 46.3-4).

The Lord is around his people. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time on and forevermore (Psalm 125.2).

The Lord is with his people. "Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel," which means, "God is with us." . . . . and remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age (Matthew 1.23; 28.20).

The Lord is in the midst of his people. The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love (Zephaniah 3.17).