Monday, September 3, 2007

A Nurse's Prayer


Ruth Winant Wheeler has written this prayer:



Because the day that stretches out for me

Is full of busy hours, I come to Thee

To ask Thee, Lord, that Thou wilt see me through

The many things that I may have to do.

Help me to make more tempting every tray.

Help me to sense when pain must have relief.

Help me to deal with those bourne down by grief.

Help me to take to every patient's room

The Light of Life to brighten up the gloom.


Help me to bring to every soul in fear

The sure and steadfast thought that Thou art near,

And if today, or if tonight, maybe,

Some patients in my care set out to sea

To face the great adventure we call death,

Sustain them, Father, in their parting breath.

Help me to live throughout this live long day

As one who loves Thee well, dear Lord, I pray;

And when the task is done, and evening stars

Shine through the dark above the sunset bars,

When weary quite, I turn to seek my rest,

Lord, may I truly know I've done my best.